Friday, February 20, 2015

"The Hundred Days" expansion for "Blucher"!


Hi all!

Well, I got my hands on a set of Sam Mustafa's new rules, "Blucher".  Most folks have started to talk about these rules a bit, but honestly I was just as impressed by the OTHER piece of the puzzle... the "The Hundred Days" expansion for it!

Now, the expansion consists of a pretty impressive (and sizable!) box containing 200+ cards, all the size of poker cards.  The cards are BEAUTIFULLY finished in terms of graphics, shine, and durability... they almost feel a touch weighty, and they are simply very pleasant in a tactile sense, if that makes sense.


There are several types of cards in the expansion.  The stars of the show are cards that represent (both in terms of stats/rules but also visually, with little pictures of troops from above) units in the Prussian, French, and British army during this time of the Napoleonic wars.  They are intended to be used if you do not have the miniatures, but of course you can just use minis instead.  What I think makes this such a cool purchase is that it is literally EVERY... SINGLE... UNIT, properly identified and with stats for the game, that existed in those armies at that time.  There are even some that never fought, but everyone has a Corps number and all the identifiers you need.  I honestly think that it makes this almost a must-purchase for any Napoleonic fan, not in terms of the game, but in terms of a sheer cool wargame/history swag.  It is just a great thing to have in a collection, you know?


There are other cards as well, including some to help you play The Hundred Days campaign in "Blucher", including various personalities who impact the game in other ways.  These are limited in use to players who intend to play the "Blucher" rules, but I would wager that would be most people who purchase the set in the first place.


And I do have to say... there are some neat toy soldiers in the "Blucher" rule book... :)

Anyway... thought I would share the photos and thoughts!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for posting. I already have the rulebook but your post has convinced me to buy the cards as well so my group can try the rules effortlessly while mounting figures as I require

Sun of York said...

Blucher is certainly interesting and you've inspired me to get the cards as well as the rulebook (I already have the PDF, but would prefer a nice printed copy as well). Eureka are doing a special on the bundle. Now I all I have to do is wait for the postie.