Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The old school 15mm ACW... sell a collection?

Howdy all!

Well, I want to clear a bit of shelf space, as things are getting a little tight, so I am taking the old school 15mm ACW figures I have on a shelf off.  While I love the figures, they are really in a prime spot (the best lit cabinet on the eye level shelf) and I want to use that space for other figures... probably my 25mm Austrians and maybe my new Vikings.  So... away they go!

This got me thinking about my old school collection (pictured right)... it is about 48 units of four stands apiece, plus cavalry, artillery, commanders, and the rest... I honestly have an absolute TON of them... and I do wonder... should I sell them?  I mean, I don't really NEED the money, or NEED the space, but I COULD use the money for other stuff... I wonder how much I would get for them?  They are painted and based to a basic wargaming standard... would anyone be interested?  And would I regret losing figures I've had since high school, and who allow me to field absolutely HUGE Civil War armies when combined with my more recent work?

6 comments:

SpeedyFrenchy said...

One piece of advice mate. Don't sell them. You'll only regret it once they're gone. And you HAVE admitted that you don't need the money or the space. Those figures are worth far more to you than you can get for them on Ebay.

adeptgamer said...

I'd like to second Dan's advice. I now have a firm rule: If I paint it, I don't part with it! At this very moment I regret selling models in the past that I painted.

anthony said...

Agree with Dan, I still have my first 15mm Napoleonics that are never fielded, but it is nice to still have them.

But if you do put them on ebay...please link to the sale page :-)

Stryker said...

Don't do it! Really, you will regret it in the future if you do. I wish I still had the armies I painted as a teenager for all their faults. Box them up and put them away if you need space in your cabinet!

Ian

Author said...

Hey guys!

Yeah, I don't think I'll be selling them, but it does make me wonder... how much do you all think I would actually be able to get? I don't have a lot of experience selling figures... I sold two Warhammer armies (that I don't regret selling) and one OLD school Ral Partha human army (which I DO regret selling.) I know I wouldn't make as much with these, but...

Crazytalk from Sam Mustafa; I bought the only army I've ever bought (the 10mm Nappies) from him, and he apparently sells every army he has, OFTEN. I don't know how he does it:)

Anyway, thanks as always for the comments guys, it is always so nice to be able to "talk" toy soldiers:)

Victor said...

I will play devil's advocate here and say a couple of things. You have to ask yourself are you ever really going to play a HUGE Civil War game? While you don't need the money or the space, you could sell them and get into a an area that would be used more often.

Now having said that I totally understand the want and desire to keep what you have had for so long but have those figures become more of show piece than a gaming tool and if you are going to move them into boxes where no one will see them....well then...