Saturday, January 10, 2009

1:1 10mm Napoleonic French Battalion

I have always been a big fan of this site;

The Voltigeurs of the Guard

It is a fantastic website that shows the organization of a French Napoleonic infantry unit at the ratio of 1:1. This is an incredibly rare thing to see; most wargamers collect on a 1:10, 1:20, or some other scale.

So, inspired by that, and my recent additions to my collection, I thought I would do the same! This infantry battalion is of the 1808-1815 variety, and consists of 6 companies; 1 voltigeur, 1 grenadier, and 4 fusilier, with the entire lead by a Chef d'battalion. While at full strength such companies would consist of 140 men, they would usually have fewer; I went with a hundred men per, which is maybe a bit more authentically accurate. To see a regiment as it would actually appear is a rare treat indeed! I might take a few more shots of the regiment in a few of the proper formations as well.

2 comments:

ColCampbell50 said...

Very inspiring. Thanks.

Jim

Author said...

No prob! It is neat looking, right?

It also makes me shake my head when I look at my 25mm collection... to paraphrase Croc Dundee; "That isn't an 1815 French Army; THIS is an 1815 French Army!"